Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ginza Honeybee Project


The majestic bumble bee

Yesterday morning on the way to work, I heard a story on NPR about a problem Tokyo is having with crows. Apparently they're taking over. Even the mayor's pissed about it because one dive-bombed him while he was golfing, causing him to declare that crow pie will become Tokyo's favorite dish. Anyhow, there's a group in Tokyo called the Ginza Honeybee Project which the reporter visited in the story, and she said two amazing things:
  1. These honeybees are so friendly toward humans that they'll let you pet them; and
  2. These honeybees actually chase the crows away
For these two reasons, I am declaring publicly on this blog that I love bees. I love them, I don't care what anyone thinks. They make delicious honey, they have a striking jacket and the big fat bumble bees remind me of my cat. Listen: my brother is allergic to bee stings, and I still love them. Listen further: I got stung by a bee for the first time just last summer (a swarm of bumble bees had made a hive underneath my boyfriend's porch where we'd all hang out around dusk each day in the summer and these bees always got a little angry and stressed out at dusk) and sure, it hurt. But I learned a few things that day: 1. I am not allergic to bee stings and 2. I still like bees in spite of the fact that they sting. 



1 comment:

Nina said...

I love bees too! I used to bee very afraid of bees and they're backsides. Maybe it's because I've had about 10 stings in my life.... which from what I hear is a lot! Now I just think they're kinda fuzzy and weird. Honestly, I still scrunch my shoulders and hold my breath when a bee buzzes in my ear, it's just a reflex.

Great story, way to go bees!